I do not plan to provide native ffmpeg binaries for Apple Silicon ARM.
Here are a few reasons why:
- I don't have ARM hardware
- I am not planning to install Catalina or Big Sur anytime soon
- not all 3rd party libs support ARM
- the assembly code is written for Intel
- I don't know how to create a multi-bit version of x265 on ARM
- the Intel binaries also run on ARM (without a performance hit)
- I might stop providing binaries altogether
Over the past few years I've grown more and more concerned about where Apple is heading.
Their notarization scam and now the switch to ARM has been pretty much the last straw for me.
Maybe I'll change my mind, but I currently don't see it.
Additionally, I host all the binaries on my personal server and over the past 10 years there were about 12 donations - in total less than $250. I never wanted to make money with those binaries, but I almost can't afford the traffic anymore. Go back